Monday 20 June 2011

It never rains but it pours...

So, this time in four weeks I will be on the water! And doesn't it look like a long way?!


I'm still not fully sure what is involved in this here Kayak challenge, but I do know that we are going to be kayaking 70kms, pretty much solidly for 4 days. At first when I was told we were going to have 'floating luches' it sounded like some blissful idle; I think I had wind in the willows esque images in my head, of boaters and champagne flutes. The reality I feel, will be something alltogether different!



                >>>>>





The challenge is looming, and I have decided it's time to up the ante from lunch-time laps  in the pool to some full on gym action.

Gyms in Antigua are something of an experience. On one of my first trips I went with my housemate Sophie to a spinning class. We got there witha  good twenty minutes to spare before the start of the class, however, to our amazement we found that they had all already been reserved! It seems that the desire to cycle so hard and for so long that it feels like your legs are going to fall off, without ever going anywhere is way more popular than we had guessed it would be!

I've recently migrated from what we jokingly call the poor mans gym, to the 'gringo' gym. Why? Because it's closer to my house. Hypocritical? Me? Never...

Amongst the characters at this gym are the portly instructor who spends the vast majority of his time at a pace no faster than a waddle, barking intstuctions to a group of red-faced bemused followers. There is also the woman who wanders around wearing a top that could be described as minimalist to say the least. It's suprising that more dumbells haven't been dropped on feet as she strolls past the free weights section of the gym, boobs out, hair up and a full on face of make-up. She occasionally puts down her caffeinated energy drink long enough to do lunges across the middle of the room!

I suppose I can't really talk though, the most energetic thing I have done today is write a blog post about going to the gym, and listened to wimbledon on the radio....

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the... erm ... 'hard work'. ;) Great to see you are preparing in mind if not yet in body lovely!

    See told you I'd read your blog, and I'm very much enjoying it so far! =)

    xxxx Flo

    ReplyDelete