Sunday 26 June 2011

For those of you who have just joined us...

It's three weeks today until I start a six day Kayak challenge here in Guatemala to raise money for local community and education projects.

If you have virtually wandered over here as a result of my Facebook message, then thanks for taking the time to look further into this, and hopefully many thanks for your kind donation to my fundraising efforts.

Usually my posts are witty at best, pretentious at worst. Today, I'm going to have to be serious for a moment.

This is Maria Angelica. She's seven years old and goes to the GVI school in Santa Maria de Jesus, about half an hour outside of Antigua where I live. Every Thursday morning I get 'realeased' from my duties in our office in town and go up to School. I work mainly with Maria Angelica as, although she's a complete character and great fun, she does struggle with basic literacy and numeracy. As well as free schooling, Maria Angelica recently had clean burning stove installed in her house as a result of GVI volunteer contributions.

These are the kinds of things that the money raised from challenges (like the one I'm doing) go towards. Yes if you check back you will get to undoubtedly see pictures of me in a silly hat looking knackered in the rain, but you will also be able to put faces to the donation that you have made.

Wish me luck! 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Laura. Just to let you know that I think what you're doing is pretty amazing. This little big planet needs more people commited to social causes in economically developing countries, like yourself. I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Sincerely, Rafael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my calculations are correct there's only a week to go? In case I don't get the chance to say anything between now and then GOOD LUCK - you will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys, a few days to go and reality is starting to kick in, along with the dreaded rain!
    Kate, did I see the 'twumblings' (geddit?!) that you're back at the 'tude office? Will you please proof-read their next bloody newsletter?!

    ReplyDelete